Saturday, June 29, 2019

Camino de Santiago - Details Of The Trip

It's important to note that I trained, planned & collected gear for this trip for a year before I left.  Also this trip took place August 20-September 4, 2018.

I am infinitely grateful for the folks of the South Florida Chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino - a support group of experienced "Peregrinos" who welcomed me and many other veterans and "first timers" of the Camino who provide mentorship while going on a few miles walk at a different south Florida location on the second Sunday of every month.

Of course, much gratitude to my family and friends who put up with me talking about it during the year and followed my every step via Facebook & Instagram while I was training and on the actual  Camino.

I flew to Madrid and took an ALSA bus to Leon ( approx., 4 hour drive).  I stayed in Leon overnight and started walking the following day.  The details of each day are chronicled in this blog as well as on social media.

I brought all of my belongings in a backpack which weighed 12 Lbs when full.  I had the choice of having my backpack transported to the next location each day but decided to do it like the original Pilgrims who originally walked this path.

Economywise, this was an inexpensive trip.  The most costly item was my plane ticket to and from Madrid. The "albergues" that I stayed in averaged about 10-12 Euros per night and some included a community dinner.  Almost all the eating establishments on the Camino have a "Pilgrim Menu" which averaged at about 10 Euros for a 4 course meal.  The buses to and from Madrid were 25 Euros.

I regret not having enough time to take this journey slower and be able to absorb more detail. The scenery was breathtaking and all the places where I stopped and spent the nights were very clean and very attentive to my needs.

While I had a physically rougher time than I anticipated, it was an unforgettable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment