Monday, July 13, 2020

Intentional Imbalance



Lately, I’ve been  feeling  guilty because I don’t have a balance between work and play or business and personal.  


I’m beginning to think the concept of life balance is an illusion.  Somehow, I’ve been led to believe that we should spend equal time in all the areas of life - family, work, spouse, health, friends, and community.  That’s just not possible.  It can be really frustrating.  Mostly  because I’m trying to create something impossible. And if it were, I sincerely doubt it would create the joy and fulfillment that it promises. 

When it comes to work, technology has facilitated this trend, but the ongoing advances in technology are making it easier and more efficient for employees to work around the clock.

However, technology isn’t the only culprit. I think we have ourselves to blame. We all hope that the greater the input of hours, the higher the output of success.  I’m beginning to think this is an illusion as well. 

Seasons in life

There will be times in life - call them seasons if you will- when I will decide to spend more time in one area over another.  I don’t think there is anything wrong with that.  The key is that I intended it to be just that. 


I see “life balance” as different from that. Rather than seek life balance, I should strive for intentional imbalance.  It is my intention that matters most.  Sometimes I’ll want to spend more time with family.  Other times it will be work.  Still other times it will be quiet time for myself.

 There have been “seasons” when I’ve wanted to focus on work and career.  There have been other seasons when I’ve focused on my family - small kids, elderly parents, etc. 

I don’t believe any one of us can have it all in all the areas of our life, all at the same time. It doesn’t matter how I’ve spent my time.  I think what matters is that I’m intentional with it. So, it’s not necessarily balanced but it’s intentionally imbalanced.  It’s not important that I spend equal time in every area but that I spend time on what matters and that I’m spending the amount of time that is given where I am in life and what my priorities are. 

I’m getting rid of this notion of life balance and focusing on this “intentional imbalance”.  I’m going to look at the different areas of my life and decide what I want or need to dedicate my time and in which areas.  I will adjust my calendar and adjust my time to do so.  Harmony is possible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment