Tuesday, November 17, 2020

The Power of Personal Discipline



What comes to mind when you hear the word ‘discipline’? Does it sound restrictive? Does it make you feel like you’re limiting your freedom? Is it best to avoid it?

Earlier in life I used to avoid discipline because it seemed difficult and felt constraining. The issue was that when I was not disciplined, I would end up creating the very things I was trying to avoid.

I learned that the only way to be truly free and creative in my life and work was through the embracing of discipline. When I avoided discipline I created more work and stress in my life.

I found I could bring the best of myself to my work when I met my commitments, when I was organized and when I was diligent. I am at my best when I am willing to do the “right things” even if, especially if, they are difficult. I realized that I was at my most free when I was most disciplined. Discipline is a actually a source of freedom not the opposite of it.

In what areas of your life could you most benefit by applying discipline?

For me, it was exercise. Although, I walk regularly throughout the week, I felt stiff and inflexible many times throughout the workday. I knew I needed to incorporate another type of workout into my day. A workout that didn’t take much more of my time or monetary expense.

After some searching, I came across a 5 minute stretch routine for women over 50 on YouTube. Aside from taking only 5 minutes, I was putting my body through its full range of motion. It put me in the right mindset and I know I am doing my health a huge benefit. After the first few days, I felt calm and centered and really, really good.

It was a simple action that, when done daily and consistently, started to change everything.

I no longer get overwhelmed by the thought of discipline. I just take a simple action and do it consistently and see what happens. Once it becomes a habit, I move to the next and the next, eventually it becomes my autopilot.

I know I have become more of what I am capable of by applying discipline — try it -you won’t regret it.



No comments:

Post a Comment