Wednesday, April 25, 2018

THE WAY





This year I am planning on embarking on a “bucket list” item I have been intending to do for a number of years – the Camino De Santiago.  I briefly read about it many years before I saw the film, The Way with Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen.  After that, I knew I had to do it. And it will be this year.  

The Camino De Santiago is known in English as The Way of St. James among other names.  It is a network of walking trails/roads serving pilgrimage to the shrine of the apostle Saint James the Great in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia in northwestern Spain, where tradition has it that the remains of the saint are buried (see map).  Today, many people follow these routes as a form of spiritual path or retreat for their spiritual growth.  It is also popular with hiking and cycling enthusiasts and organized groups.  

The Way, or the route to Santiago De Compostela, was declared the first European Cultural Route by the Council of Europe in 1987.  It was also named one of UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites.  Since the 1980’s the route has attracted a growing number of modern-day international pilgrims. 

The French Way (Camino Frances) is the most popular of the routes.  It runs from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on the French side of the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles on the Spanish side before making its way through to Santiago de Compostela through the major cities of Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos and Leon. This route takes approximately 4 weeks to walk and is approximately 750 km. Since I am not yet able to take 4 weeks off work, I will be walking the last 100+ Km starting in Sarria- it is the point where one quarter of all pilgrims start and a route that combines different paths that will allow me to get to see the great variety of possibilities that the Camino de Santiago has to offer.  

Needless to say, ever since my decision to walk the Camino this year, I’ve had a plethora of learning experiences preparing for it.  They tell me that MY Camino starts on the day I start preparing for it. I hope to share those with all of you as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment