Thursday, April 30, 2020

The 50-Year-Old Marathon Woman



Those who know me well know that I am the most unathletic person they ever knew. So how in the world did I end up running my first half marathon at age fifty?
It all started the one early August evening when I had some friends over for dinner. After a glass of wine or two, they mentioned they had registered and were training to run the Miami Half Marathon the following January. These news shocked me given I didn’t know either one of them to be a runner. Even more shocking was the fact that they were both 65 years of age.
Neither one of them fit the image of the ideal athlete or the “runner’s body” for that matter. They didn’t seem to be overweight but hardly looked to be in shape to run 13.5 miles without stopping. Still, they were starting a training plan the following week and seemed very motivated about the event.
Many runners sign up to achieve a personal best or keep their New Year’s resolutions in check. For this type of person, the motivation is simple in their head: complete the marathon alive.
I had just turned 50 so I was starting to notice the first subtle changes in my metabolism; the loss of muscle, bone and fat under the skin — along with changes in collagen and elastin — was making fine lines and wrinkles more dramatic. Aging and inactivity were leading to achy joints because of the wearing down of cartilage, the loss of lubricating joint fluid and weaker muscles.
As the evening wore on, my intrigue increased, and it started to make sense. I wasn’t getting any younger and my body was not going to stay the same. At some point I would have to do something to stay in shape. The notion of appreciating and accepting our own body image and personal achievements is a struggle for a great number of people. I was no exception. And I love a challenge. The following morning, I signed up.
Completing a marathon is something most of us can only dream of. It’s a once in a lifetime goal and for some, a bucket list achievement. In the case of a half marathon, 13.1 miles of demanding course pushes you to the very edge both physically and mentally.
You have to be focused . Those who are focused won’t let anything stand between themselves and their end goal. Signing up for a marathon is one thing, but focused runners have specific aims and goals. For them, it’s not just the taking part that counts.
You have to prepare. A marathon requires intricate planning and preparation. It’s not the type of event where you can just show up and run. Most runners follow a strict diet and running schedule, knowing that when they turn up they will be in prime condition ready to race.
You have to be brave. They might not know it, but marathon runners are the bravest personalities. A marathon is one of the toughest challenges a human can put themselves through, so each runner should celebrate their huge efforts.
Two weeks later, believing in my heart of hearts that I was both focused and brave, I began a beginner’s training program to prepare for their first 13.1-mile race. I learned that in choosing the half marathon, you are choosing the most popular race distance in America. According to Running USA, 2 million runners did a half marathon last year. That is four times the number of the half million who ran full marathons. After consulting with my doctor, she agreed with me that, at my age, the full marathon would be “overkill”.
I should begin by pointing out that the training schedule assumes you have the ability to run 3 miles. That wasn’t the case for me, but I decided to go ahead with it. That’s one of the things I was brave about.
The first week of training began on a Tuesday with a 3 mile run (half walk, half run for me), 2 miles cross-training (bike ride for me) on Wednesday, another 3 mile run on Thursday, rest on Friday, 30 minutes cross training on Saturday leading up to a 4 mile run on Sunday morning and rest on Monday. This schedule repeated itself for a total of 12 weeks, increasing a mile for each activity every 2 or 3 weeks leading up to a 10K (6 mile) race on the 9th Sunday. By the 11th Sunday, I ran 10 miles (with some intermittent walking). The following week, there were 2 rest days before the half marathon event on the 12th Sunday.
There is a resiliency that is necessary here. Marathon runners almost always come across hurdles, be it injuries or unexpected illness throughout their training. Resilient people are a special breed. They run through the burst blisters, shin splints and pains. They keep their head up and do anything to get to the finish line.
Needless to say; and especially at my age, I had weekly dates with an ice pack and a foam roller. This was also a grueling schedule for someone working full time. But, I got into great shape and regular training improved my goal setting, organizational skills, eating habits and discipline in the workplace and outside it.
A marathon can be a rollercoaster of emotions, both during training and on race day. But come the finish line that feeling of success and accomplishment was one I’ve never felt before. While I swore afterwards ’never again’, that one marathon has led me to 3 more so far.
Like my content? Subscribe to my blog by entering your email address.  You will receive notifications each time I post. Also, comment below with your thoughts, opinions and even ideas for future posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment