Saturday, October 10, 2020

Self Care Vs. Self Love - One Size DOESN'T Fit All

 


We all need a little time to care for ourselves these daysSo many of us are working more than one job to make ends meet or to support our passions. Self-care is important to feeling renewed and, admittedly, what gets me through the day sometimes during days of stress and anxiety. Come home from work, cleanse my face to “take the day off” and read in bed? Yes, that’s the life!

If I were to define self-care, it would be the act of taking care of myself physically and mentally. It’s making sure I’m getting the time I need to feel at peace. It’s the self-awareness that I need time to myself to grow or develop in any way. Yes, this can be going to a Yin Yoga class or reading an article that makes me happy (like this one, you’re welcome!)because I know I’m going to feel relaxed tomorrow morning. Same goes for having my hair and/or my nails done.

Self-love, on the other hand, is more about cultivating gratitude and acceptance toward myself, physically and emotionally. This can mean talking to myself in a positive manner, getting rid of my scale, or ditching my compassion mindset (this is easier said than done!). I’ve learned that self-love means loving myself unapologetically while self-care is about taking the time to feel good in my skin.

There’s no doubt the two are different and, at the same time, both necessary to a healthy, fulfilled lifestyle. Self-care allows me to maintain a healthy relationship with myself rather than beating myself up about small stuff. Practicing self-care has helped me refocus my brain, just as meditation would.

I’ve seen that the most successful people have confidence. Self-love is a way I can achieve that confidence. And that starts with loving myself.

All that being said, there’s no way I’m going to have time to love myself and indulge in self-care every day of my life. And thinking that’s feasible will most certainly set me up for failure. What is important is that I make efforts to incorporate these things into my daily life. I’ve found that little moments of self-care throughout my day work better for me than a full night of pampering.

When it comes to self-care and self-love, one size doesn’t fit all. Not everyone feels relaxed after a massage or meditation. Just as not everyone finds confidence from the same sources. What’s important is that you spend the time discovering what works for you and makes a difference in your day. It’s nowhere near a cure-all for anxiety or depression but, when I add it to my routine it reduces stress and slows down my life. And that makes me feel good.

Heart Revolution

Join my mission to raise the vibration of humanity to a more loving one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment