Monday, July 12, 2021

Are You Ready For The Second Half?

 

It’s like being given another January 1st


Each year around Thanksgiving I make a list of things I want to accomplish for the following year. I give myself the month of December to inspect the list many times and determine if I should add or delete any items. By the time January arrives, I have my goals lined up.

Most years, this was a ridiculous list and I would look at it January 1, close it January 2nd, and not open it again until December 31st when I realized I didn’t hit any of them.

But this year I played the game differently.

When they do this in the corporate world, they have meetings at regular intervals to track goals. So I had a meeting with myself every Monday and check-in and track about a dozen different metrics — all little pieces of my annual goals.

This weekly practice has been a great help for me. It makes me feel like I’m giving my personal and professional goals the same level of importance as the goals of the corporate world.

Which brings me to July. And we are already a few days in. It’s almost like I’ve been given a second January 1st. We’re already halfway through 2021 and I’ve taken this time to recalibrate and check-in with my annual goals.

It’s time to see where I’m on track, where I’m off, and where I excel.

In the next meeting I got to thinking that there’s no reason I can’t issue myself a mulligan and start the year new with a do-over. After all, it’s my life. I’m thinking I can re-issue myself whatever goals I want, when I want. That’s a powerful feeling.

So maybe the first half of the year didn’t go as planned and some of my goals were blown out of the water.

I took 30 minutes to myself and make like it’s January 1st all over again and I’m just getting started. The glass is not half-empty.

I have a sense of accomplishment and self-assuredness that I haven’t had in previous years. In fact, I already met a few of my annual goals. But there are so many more to go.

ILLUMINATION

We curate outstanding articles from diverse domains and…

No comments:

Post a Comment