Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Using Technology as a Door to a Better Life

 


Now, more than ever, it is important to connect across the generation gap...

Shortly after I became a widow, I had to negotiate my own car for the first time. I actually cried when I left the dealership, realizing all the things that I would have to do for myself.

It was time to start depending on myself.

The same was true when it came to my computer. For most of my life, I had relied on other people to handle technical tasks. If there was a problem with my computer, my “troubleshooting” consisted of turning it off and on again, tapping it on the top, closing any open programs, and finally calling my husband to help.

Things had to change.

These days, it is commonly accepted that seniors don’t understand technology. However, many seniors over the age of 50 have embraced their tablets and smartphones as much as the younger generation.

I’m not sure why this agist mentality about technology still exists.

Recent studies show that seniors are adapting to the digital space more than ever before. Many seniors are turning to digital options such as wearable devices, smart home amenities and digital medication dispensers to mitigate their needs.

Interestingly enough, baby boomers, or the “seniors of the future”, will be over the age of 65 by 2030 and will make up 21% of America’s population. This is a population that is simply too large to ignore or disregard as many previous generations.

Even if you’re just getting started online and want to know how to use your computer, there are plenty of free videos on YouTube. Just type in what you’re looking for and plenty of options will appear.

If you already have a good understanding of how your computer works, you can learn to edit digital photos and videos, learn how to write a blogpost, design and publish e-books, or improve your knowledge of chess.

I would be lying if I said that becoming more technical was easy for me. It wasn’t.

Being a senior doesn’t have to be a time of isolation. One of the most wonderful things about being alive in this age is that the tools for learning new skills have become super easy to use.

We’ve gone from “teaching an old dog new tricks” to “ a grandparent’s guide to emojis”.

Our generation has the potential to stay connected in ways that our parents only dreamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment