Friday, February 5, 2021

My Looking-Forward List


When I was 59, I was, for the most part, pretty happy. I felt good about the life I’d created for myself. But as I approached my 60th birthday, I wanted to be prepared for the worst. I had friends who, on their 60th birthdays, were overcome with an enormous sense of sadness, friends who said they realized they weren’t where they’d thought they’d be at that point in their lives. What if I woke up on the morning of my 60th birthday and felt the same way?

That’s why I created a 60th birthday first aid kit. It consisted of a long list of things I considered accomplishments — from paying off my credit cards to saving up a proper emergency fund. It included all the places I’d lived, all the placed I’d travelled to, and all the jobs I’d held. It also included less tangible things like the joy I felt about my circle of friends, and the work I’d done for my own health.

After completing my list, I proudly told my friend about it. To my surprise, rather than applaud my efforts, she gave me a confused look. She said, “rather than make a list looking backward, what would happen if you looked forward? Imagine a list of the amazing things you’ll do after you turn 60. It will be a lot longer than the list you already made.”

I got to work listing places I would visit, milestones I would reach, and books I would read. I dreamed big, picturing myself on photography safaris in Africa. I also dreamed of things like having the writing job I have always been passionate about. The list served as an excuse to learn more about everything that piqued my interest — from classical music to gardening.

My looking forward-list reminded me of the importance of novelty. No matter what age we are, when we’re living our day-in, day-out lives, it’s easy to fall into a rut. That comfortable rut can keep us from growing and experiencing a genuine sense of wonder in the world. In writing out my list, I realized nearly all of it consisted of new experiences, which came with the potential for many surprises. What’s more, my list instilled in me a sense of anticipation, one of my favorite emotional states.

By writing a list for the future, we say “Yes, there will be a future.” We say, “There are good things ahead.” We proclaim, “There’s a lot to live for” and I, for one, am excited about those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment