Thursday, December 9, 2021

The Energizing Power of Newness

 


Doing something new is like taking a happy pill…


We take care of our health all our life so that we can have long lives. As an old soul, I’ve always looked forward to old age, or what I consider to be old age. For me, 60's feels old, or at least, a lot. So it seems clear that I have arrived. Now what?

Who am I now that I’m in my sixties? What does 60’s mean? How does the world perceive me in my 60's? I’ve never defined myself by the things I can’t do anymore (skiing, for one). My energy level is lower. But why should I concentrate on the negative when there’s so much positive?

Now I have new rights, responsibilities and privileges in the land of the old. I have made the decision to be a writer. I truly believe that I have something to say more than ever before — to make a difference somehow.

I decided to do a few new things every year. I don’t want to become stale or uninterested. I want to keep expanding and exploring. You might think that by our 60’s we’ve done so many things, what’s next to do? Plenty!

Doing something I’ve never done before makes me feel new — and young. It makes me feel like an explorer, a conqueror. Doing something new is like a happy pill. The challenge of doing something new is energizing.

I’ve taken the time to reflect on my life. Self-reflection is considered a luxury instead of a necessity these days. You rush from one task to another and the minutes tick by until the end of the day when you literally fall into bed. Sometimes even sleep is rare because the mind chatter won’t stop spinning. It has helped me stay out of “stupor” and celebrate life instead of slogging through muddy waters.

After years of never having the time (due to work and family mostly), I finally have the time to write about subjects I care deeply about. It’s time to have my say! It’s been an ongoing education to learn the craft and I’m nowhere near mastering it. I’ve come in contact with so many people on blogging platforms like Medium that are in the same boat I am, as well as some “masters” I truly admire and fashion myself after. I won’t mention any names here. You know who you are.

I founded a non-profit organization called “The Giving Purse Foundation” to provide homeless women living on the streets with purses filled with toiletries. It keeps me active and engaging in all kinds of activities to raise funds and prepare events. Volunteering my time and being involved is an empowering feeling. It makes me feel engaged and current.

In addition to my regular walking schedule, I bought myself a bicycle a few years ago and ride regularly with friends for exercise and fun.

I now have a morning routine and I start my day thinking about me. In addition to my predawn hours of writing, I practice yoga for stretch, toning and balance. I do a short, guided meditation to slow down the endless mindless mental chatter and decrease the incessant conversations I have with myself. This is followed by some weights for the prevention of “bat wings” and upper body strength. After my exercise, I do my journaling, reflecting on the previous day and all the things I’m grateful for, as well as my intentions for the day ahead. I find that, if I start my day with clarity and intention to do the most important work, success follows me. It’s has become the main ingredient of how I measure my life.

I joined a spiritual tribe that I do different activities with every month and retreats throughout the year. I’ve learned to open my heart. My heart reflects a generosity of spirit and a sense of encouragement and inspiration for others. It gives me a measure of how I am managing my expectations and how my mindsets can be changed to reflect more positive perceptions, peace, joy and fulfillment. I’ve made some great friends and continuously learn about a variety of subjects including self-love and being in touch with my intuition.

What new things will I do next year?

I will make simplicity my new luxury. I will focus on living light. I will stop collecting people, places and things that get in the way of making clear intentions. Living light eliminates the superfluous and reframes my mindset to reflect purpose.

I will learn to say NO. I’ve realized that I say YES to people because it’s easier and requires little thought or effort. I will be responsive to myself and learn to discern and reflect about what adds value to my life. I’ve learned that NO is a powerful word when used appropriately. It is a measure of how I establish boundaries and belief systems that add value to my life.

On January 1, 2022, I will delete the Facebook app from my phone. Being constantly connected has reduced my quality of life and can potentially harm me. It interrupts my work, my time with friends and family, and even the time I should be using to rest. I want to enjoy life in real time.

I will no longer bend to the reflections of people around me, take on their opinions and observations as if they might be my own values or beliefs. I will not let anyone else influence me or tell me who I am. I am unique unto myself.

The new things I’ve done in my 60’s have made me confront my priorities, my fears, my desires, my sorrows, my regrets, my passions, my unanswered questions. I promised myself to live in the moment, to practice compassion, which the Dalai Lama says is the most important thing in life.

Change Your Mind Change Your Life

Read short and uplifting articles here to help you shift…

1 comment:

  1. Very powerful and inspiring. Exactly what I needed to read. M.

    ReplyDelete